As some of you may be aware, there have been some rumors circulating about my personal conduct with women in the comics industry. The accusation is that I’ve sent unsolicited intimate photos of myself to fans, colleagues, or possibly both.
Sexual harassment is incredibly serious business, and I believe anyone who has followed me for any period of time knows that I often speak against it. No one should be subject to such behavior. It’s invasive, disrespectful, and occasionally dangerous.
Have I sent intimate photos of myself to women before? Yes. I’ll absolutely admit to that. As a 26 year-old bachelor with a relatively healthy sex life in the internet age, these things happen. However, every photo sent was in direct response to either a photo received or a specific request.
Or so I thought.
Two years ago, I was engaged in two separate relationships with women whom I was sexually active with. Given the nature of these relationships, my experiences in past relationships, and various dialogues with these women, I thought it had been established within each relationship that intimate or explicit photos were acceptable, possibly even desired.
I GROSSLY misread the situation.
It has been brought to my attention that both of these women were uncomfortable with my behavior, and needless to say, I’m absolutely disgusted with myself. How I could so horribly misinterpret the situation confounds me, but that confusion pales in comparison to the shame of knowing that I did the very thing to these two women that I openly chastise people for on a regular basis. Also, beyond that, that these women felt this way for TWO YEARS without me knowing and attempting to make amends, which is wholly unacceptable in its own right.
I have reached out to both of these women and have made private apologies, but I felt it was my responsibility to make a public one as well. As stated earlier, I believe sexual harassment to be an incredibly serious issue, and while the harassment in question was a terrible and ignorant mistake, it does not change the fact that that’s what this was, and I accept full responsibility.
I strive to treat everyone with respect, as I feel those who know me personally or follow my comics work would attest, and as such I hope that helps frame how sorry I truly am that all of this happened. The best I can do is own up to it, acknowledge that I made an incredible error in judgement, and finally, make sure that I learn from this mistake and never repeat it moving forward.
In addition, if there’s anyone else out there who feels like I’ve made them uncomfortable, on any level, please let me know. Clearly I’ve misread situations before, and I don’t want to go years again thinking nothing’s wrong only to learn I’ve hurt someone.
Finally, I’ll be making a donation of $1000 to RAINN, as they’re an organization at the forefront of both preventing and aiding victims of sexual harassment and assault. Hopefully my small donation will in some way help them in educating even just one person, preventing another situation such as this.
My deepest, sincerest apologies to all.
- sighttdw likes this
- thefanaticmarygrace likes this
- allmyfriendsarehouses reblogged this from thelifeandliesofzephyrthistle
- thelifeandliesofzephyrthistle reblogged this from bettyfelon
- mira-mija likes this
- thecadaver reblogged this from bettyfelon
- wesleystephen likes this
- roserelease likes this
- frozenn-sl likes this
- alexwangxp likes this
- infamous-sonny reblogged this from itsjessmehere
- itsjessmehere reblogged this from thaladyk
- abluesforbrklyn likes this
- thaladyk reblogged this from mister-gray
- thaladyk likes this
- bearodon likes this
- subsistingonarsenic likes this
- superhood likes this
- elleestbellepistache likes this
- roniweiss reblogged this from yalestewart and added:
- stephenharred likes this
- eatingpencils likes this
- hannahmakeslotsofthings likes this
- frecklearchipelago reblogged this from bettyfelon
- frecklearchipelago likes this
- actorswithactionfigures likes this
- justlikeatexan likes this
- scottcausley likes this
- fr-eck-less likes this
- xxyeahimweirdxx likes this
- stupedkid likes this
- te-ster likes this
- vannie429 reblogged this from yalestewart
- mrpurplesplace likes this
- smohohoby likes this
- danapolis reblogged this from carpetcrawler
- russellrd said: If this was a misunderstanding then it sucks big time. Kudos for you for taking responsibility, though, and not trying to excuse the behavior. Seems like you’re doing the right thing. Keep your chin up.
- chickwithmonkey reblogged this from yalestewart and added:
- thelectricninja likes this
- oustedian likes this
- take-a-hard-left reblogged this from staxilicious
- snegdevochka likes this
- beanypie likes this
- evening-assam likes this
- omegaman1196 likes this
- staxilicious reblogged this from yalestewart and added:
- staxilicious likes this
- katofrafters likes this
- rednettle likes this
- chocolatechipsandchaos reblogged this from yalestewart